Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Ella's 1st Big Earthquake

Yesterday, there was an 5.4 earthquake that hit the Los Angeles area. The center of it was in Chino Hills which is about 25 miles from our home. Boy, we could feel it. Ella had just woken up from her nap and I was holding her on the couch. She had just fallen back to sleep, and I started to fall asleep with her. Right when I fell asleep, everything started shaking. A few pictures fell off the wall and one broke. It freaked me out and my heart started pounding. I hadn't been in an earthquake that big since I was little. Thank goodness Ella was already in my arms and we ran under a doorway for shelter. It didn't really phase Ella much beside the fact that she got woken up from her nap. What sacred me the most was that all the phone lines including cell phones were down for 25 minutes after the quake and I couldn't get a hold of anyone. Jordan was at school and he was able to get a hold of me but not right away. It just made me realize that we need to always be prepared because you never know when a natural disaster might hit. Thank goodness this wasn't it but it was a good wake up call.
We are moving tomorrow to another apartment in the same city we live in. We are so excited it is a two bedroom and Ella will finally have her own room. HOORAY! We're also excited that we will have a 2 car garage right under our apartment. I'm trying to pack but Ella loves to help me unpack. She loves to climb in and out of the boxes. My mom is now watching her for the next couple of days while we move to our new home. Thank you mom!

6 comments:

Stewarts said...

We are so sad you are moving. We hope you won't be strangers! Owen will miss seeing you every Sunday! We know all too well how nice it is to have more space. We are glad you are safe from the earthquake. All of my kids were a bit shook up too.

Larson Family said...

Matt felt it too when he was in his kaplan class in la jolla, of course I felt nothing. You look like you've been very busy. Ella is so cute, I love the goggles. Excited to see you in 2 or 3 weeks!

Melissa P said...

Good luck packing/moving! Hope you like your new place! It was great talking to you the other day!

Critchfield fam said...

SCARY!! I'm glad you're okay. Ella is so darling! How fun that Ella will have her own bedroom!!

Trisha said...

Jordan,

Your family is so cute, your little Ella is a doll. Hope you don't mind me looking at your blog, just wanted to see what you were up to.

-Trisha (Henderson) Cannon
paulandtrisha.blogspot.com

Jodi Jean said...

now you need to post about just how awesome your new ward is. haha! i had a blast chatting with you today.

the earthquake didn't phase aidan at all ... and i loved it, but i'm a freak and LOVE earthquakes.